New arrivals in Canada in February include a new season of "Drive to Survive", FX's "Kindred", season 2 of "The Other Two", and more.
Selena + Chef, an unscripted cooking show starring actress and singer Selena Gomez, cooking a meal at home with the assistance of her friends and a (usually) remote professional chef, premiered on HBO Max in the United States on August 13, 2020.
Since its debut, the series has been available in Canada on Crave, the Bell Media streaming service that has Canadian rights to most HBO Max original programming, as HBO Max itself is not currently available in Canada. The fourth season of the series is premiering on Thursday, August 18, 2022, with additional episodes to be released over the following two weeks.
Crave is currently available in Canada through two direct-to-consumer options. Crave Mobile, which costs $9.99 per month or $99.90 per year when billed in an upfront annual payment, allows for streaming on a single mobile device or web browser at a time, while Crave Total, which costs $19.99 per month or $199.90 per year, also allows for streaming on connected TVs and streaming devices. Alternatively, the service is available as an add-on package through most traditional TV service providers.
All prices in this article are in Canadian dollars, are current as of August 17, 2022, and do not include applicable sales taxes, which vary by province.
How can I access the recipes from Selena + Chef in Canada?
The recipes used on Selena + Chef have been posted, in printer-friendly PDF format, on a dedicated page on the HBO Max website – https://www.hbomax.com/selenarecipes – which has been referenced onscreen in many episodes of the series (including in the versions available on Crave).
Unfortunately, like virtually every other page on the HBO Max website, that recipes page is geoblocked in Canada. To be clear, this geoblocking is performed by HBO Max and its parent company Warner Bros. Discovery, though it is presumably being done to minimize confusion given that HBO Max does not operate in Canada, with exclusive rights to HBO and HBO Max original programming having been sold to Canadian broadcasters like Bell Media. Attempting to access the above link from a Canadian IP address will redirect users to a page noting that HBO Max is not yet available in this country.
However, the recipes themselves have been posted as static PDF files, and those files have not been geoblocked – if you happen to know the web address of each of those files.
For the convenience of Canadian viewers, we are posting links to these recipes below. Just to reiterate, we are not re-hosting copies of the recipes themselves – merely posting links to the PDF files hosted on Warner Bros. Discovery's servers, which are publicly promoted on the HBO Max website in the U.S., and have not (yet) been blocked from Canadian access. WBD could always choose to relocate or geoblock those files in the future. We also do not claim ownership in these recipes (or the recipe titles) in any way, nor do we make any kinds of guarantees about your results should you choose to attempt these recipes.
We've reordered the recipes to be in chronological order based on the seasons and episode ordering used on Crave (including the Thanksgiving special being listed as season 1, episode 11 instead of season 2, episode 1). The recipes have been posted in different formats depending on the season – there are individual PDFs for each dish in seasons 2 and 4, while for most of seasons 1 and 3, the full meal is provided in a single PDF.
- Ludo's French Omelette
- Antonia's Seafood Tostada
- Candice's Spicy Miso Ramen
- Roy Choi's Korean BBQ Short Rib Breakfast Tacos
- Jon & Vinny's Chicken Dinner
- Nancy Silverton's Braised Leeks
- Angelo's Baja-Style Fried Rice
- Tanya's Buttermilk Fried Chicken
- Daniel's Chicken Meatballs
- Nyesha's Dog Biscuits & Glaze
- Nana's Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole (not tied to an episode)
- Aarti's Tandoori Masala Turkey Breast
- Aarti's "Cheater" Masala Gravy
- Aarti's Garam Masala Spiced Sweet Potatoes with Toasted Marshmallows
- Aarti's Cranberry Chutney
- Aarti's Haricot Vert with Roasted Pistachios and Fresh Mint
- Nana's White Cornbread Stuffing
- Nana's Famous Pea Salad
- Mom's Cheesy Potato Casserole
- Curtis' Gwen Key Lime Parfaits
- Curtis' Steak Sandwiches With Caramelized Onions & Cheddar
- Curtis' Salt & Vinegar Potato Chips
- JJ's Seafood Gumbo
- JJ's Gumbo Spice Mix
- JJ's Jasmine Rice
- Jose's Tichi's Gazpacho
- Jose's "New Wave" Omelet
- Jose's Mussels A La Gallega
- Jose's Gambas Al Ajillo
- Jose's Pan Con Tomate
- Marcus' Honey Mustard Glazed Salmon Radicchio Bulgur Salad and Miso Broth
- Kelis' Oxtail Poutine with Yuca and Farm Fresh Herbs
- Kelis' Farm Fresh Rosemary Apple Cranberry Buckle
- Jordan's Chicken Adobo with Jasmine Rice
- Jordan's Turon (Sweetened Jackfruit & Plantain Dessert Rolls)
- Marcela's Shredded Chicken Mole Tacos
- Marcela's Cinnamon Sugar Dusted Bunuelos
- Evan's Ragu Bolognese
- Evan's Tagliatelle Ragu Bolognese
- Evan's Fresh Tagliatelle
- Graham's Burger
- Graham's Signature Caesar Salad
- Sunday Supper by Kwame Onwuachi
- Watch Party by Ayesha Curry
- Seafood Soiree by Aarón Sánchez
- Game Night by Fabio Viviani
- Ultimate Birthday Bash Nachos by Richard Blais
- Korean BBQ & Karaoke Night by Esther Choi
- Indian Brunch by Padma Lakshmi
- Plant Based Picnic by Sophia Roe
- Date Night by Gabe Kennedy
- Luncheon Feast by Jamie Oliver
- Ludo's Whole Grilled Sole with Burnt Tomato and Sorrel
- Ludo's Pineapple with Spicy Caramel
- Kristen's Sweet Corn & Baby Carrots
- Kristen's Chickpea Fried Broccoli
- Kristen's Strawberry & Yuzu
- DeVonn's Banana Leaf Roasted Snapper
- DeVonn's Torched Banana Cake
- Rachael's Beer-Battered Fish with Tasty Tartar Sauce
- Rachael's Oil & Vinegar Slaw and Michelada
- Rachael's Elote Salad
- Nick's Burrata Peach Salad
- Nick's Homemade Pasta with Pesto in a Parmesan Wheel
- Adrienne's Fool-Proof, Easy AF Hollandaise
- Adrienne's Parmesan Grits
- Adrienne's Perfect Every Time Poached Eggs
- Adrienne's Poached Salmon Croquettes
- Adrienne's Sweet Tea Granita
- Matty's Hello Dollies
- Matty's Miami Ribs with Hot Pepper Agrodolce
- Priya's Avocado, Corn & Tomato Kachumber
- Priya's Dahi Toast (Spiced Yogurt Sandwich)
- Priya's Shikanji (Indian Gatorade)
- Paola's Beef Empanada
- Paola's Chocolate Sandwich Cookie Icebox Cake
- Gordon's Smashed Potatoes + Sautéed Asparagus with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
- Gordon's Pan Seared Scallops with Sweet Corn Purée
- Gordon's Butter-Basted Steak with Chimichurri